The Moore County Airport is a publicly-owned and operated airport operated for the convenience and benefit of the public by the Moore County Airport Authority. The Moore County Airport Authority meets the second Wednesday of each month at 9:00 a.m. in the airline terminal conference room at the Moore County Airport. Meetings are currently held via Zoom due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The meeting is open to the public, and public expertise and opinions are eagerly solicited.
The airport was established in 1929 when the Tufts family, famous for their Pinehurst Resort, opened a dirt runway and named it “Knollwood Airport.” In 1935 the county acquired the facility. During World War II, the airport was leased to the Army Air Corps and was called Knollwood Army Auxiliary Airfield and large-scale military exercises were conducted at the field, practicing techniques later used on D-Day and elsewhere.
The original airport hangar is still on the field and is located just west of the rotating beacon. This hangar was home, for years, to an original World War II Stinson Reliant owned by the Commemorative Air Force.
Today the airport offers a 6,500 foot runway and is equipped with state-of-the-art instrument approaches and lighting for use in inclement weather. There are about 90 hangar spaces and a flight school. About 6,000 planes land or depart from the airport annually.
Tom McPherson, Chairman
Barry Lerman, Vice-Chairman
Michael Jones, Secretary & Treasurer
John Boesch, Member
Pat Corso, Member
Manager: Scott Malta, (910) 692-3212
Scott Malta, Airport Manager
910-692-3212 ext 1002
910-692-3212 ext 1008
Director of Operations:
910-692-3212 ext 1003
Customer Service Representatives:
Line Service Technicians:
Paul Puszynski, Supervisor